By Peter C. Herman
- Written in a transparent and obtainable variety for an undergraduate point audience
- Gives an summary of the period’s heritage in addition to an figuring out of the historiographic issues
- Explores key historic and literary occasions, from the Wars of the Roses to the e-book of John Milton’s Paradise Regained
- Features extensive causes of key words and ideas, akin to absolutism and the Elizabethan Settlement
Read or Download A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
This ebook is a concise and interesting research of up to date literature considered throughout the severe lens of cosmopolitan idea. It covers a large spectrum of matters together with globalisation, cosmopolitanism, nationhood, identification, philosophical nomadism, posthumanism, weather switch, devolution and love.
Writing the Frontier: Anthony Trollope among Britain and eire is the 1st book-length learn of the good Victorian novelist's courting with eire, the rustic which grew to become his moment domestic and used to be the positioning of his first own good fortune. It deals an in-depth exploration of Trollope's time in eire as a emerging submit place of work professional, contextualising his huge output of Irish novels and brief tales and his ongoinginterest within the state, its humans, and its consistently complex courting with Britain.
The booklet explores the discursive and theoretical stipulations for conceptualizing the postethnic literary. It historicizes US multicultural and postcolonial reports as institutionalized discursive formations, which represent a paratext that regulates the reception of literary texts in keeping with the paradigm of representativeness.
Collapsing constructions, unforeseen conferences available on the market, enormous births, encounters with pirates at sea—these and different unexpected “accidents” on the flip of the 17th century in England obtained remarkable importance within the early smooth philosophical and cultural mind's eye. Drawing on highbrow historical past, cultural feedback, and rhetorical idea, this ebook chronicles the narrative transformation of “accident” from a philosophical useless finish to an unbelievable social gathering for revelation and sweetness in early glossy spiritual existence, dramatic perform, and experimental philosophy.
- Religious Feeling and Religious Commitment in Faulkner, Dostoyevsky, Werfel and Bernanos: Volume 27 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
- Engendering a Nation: A Feminist Account of Shakespeare's English Histories (Feminist Readings of Shakespeare)
- Milton, Spenser and The Chronicles of Narnia: Literary Sources for the C.S. Lewis Novels
- Tolkien, Self and Other: "This Queer Creature" (The New Middle Ages)
- Language and Revolution in Burke, Wollstonecraft, Paine, and Godwin
- Women Reviewing Women in Nineteenth-Century Britain: The Critical Reception of Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë and George Eliot (Nineteenth Century)
Extra info for A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context
A Short History of Early Modern England: British Literature in Context by Peter C. Herman